Get Financially Fit! | Making Family Finance Fun
Posted: August 22, 2016
Making Family Finance Fun
Quick Tips for Making Your Dollar Work SmarterBy Latacia Greeley, Office Supervisor
Eau Claire Office
WESTconsin Credit Union
- Involve everyone! It’s true that together everyone achieves more—GO TEAM! So get to work and be creative with family involvement. Chart progress, savings goals and spending habits as a family to help remind and encourage specific habits and behaviors.
- There’s an app for that! Use your smart phone to your advantage with free apps to help track spending and saving, along with free family fun activities or discounts for family adventures. Opting in for email coupons or newsletters is a great way to showcase and engage your family in local fun for a discount.
- Get to know your community! Visit your chamber of commerce, city parks and rec and your local library and be a tourist in your own community! Some common activities in your area may be: camping, theaters, museums, schools, parks, pools, trails and other local facilities like a YMCA or indoor sports center.
- Free is a win-win! What publications and websites are available to get up-to-date news on upcoming events and activities in your community? Challenge your kids to each plan a day that includes a budget, meal plan and an activity that gets everyone moving and enjoying quality family time. They’ll have much more buy in and excitement when they’re leading the pack!
- What’s in the house?! Get creative and back to the basics of games, treasure hunts and good old fashion outdoor adventures. Rainy or snowed in? Engage in a craft or house project day and turn that spare room into a fortress of mystery!
- Enjoy yourselves! Time with loved ones and sharing fun experience over buying more 'stuff' creates memories that last. Remember that in-the-moment splurges on purchases don’t create long term gains. What your family, your spouse and your kids really want is your fun-loving energy and quality time together.