Avoid Identity Theft
Posted: January 2, 2018
We hear it all the time. On the radio, during commercial breaks from our favorite TV shows, through social media, from our parents, and even from our favorite tellers. “Be careful with your personal information, fraud is a big issue.” As annoying as it may seem, its true! Fraud is a big issue in our world today, and can catch you off guard no matter how careful you are. To help you keep your information safe, here are five tips to follow.
- NEVER give out your personal information over the phone or by email. Always go directly to the website and find valid contact information for the company.
- Review your account statements regularly. Remember, we have lots of options to make this easy, such as Mobile Banking and WESTconsin Online. If you see anything out of the ordinary stop in or call your local WESTconsin Office to meet with a Member Service Representative.
- Take advantage of shred events! It’s important to shred any sensitive information you might be planning to throw away. (Financial statements, expired credit cards, etc.) WESTconsin offers FREE shred events twice a year!
- Create complex passwords, and change them frequently. Doing so will ensure you are making It as hard as possible for people to guess them and hack into your accounts.
- Notice something suspicious? Contact all three (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian) credit reporting agencies to have a freeze put on your credit report. This will stop any new credit from occurring by not allowing your report to be pulled. Pretty neat, huh?