Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 or 1.1
Posted: December 20, 2018
What does this mean?Because of this upcoming change, a small portion of our members with outdated browsers, desktop operating systems and/or mobile operating systems will need to upgrade their device, if possible, or use an alternate device to connect to WESTconsin Online or our Mobile App. Members using an outdated browser, desktop operating system and/or mobile operating system will no longer be able to access any of our online services using that device. Impacted members should receive notifications when using WESTconsin Online or our Mobile App as well as by email.
Please keep in mind if multiple people access the account using different devices it could mean that just one of the devices will not work after February 25, 2019. It is important that you know which devices will work, and which ones will not.
How to determine if a device will need to be upgraded to allow access.
- Android Mobile Devices
- Android devices version 4.4.4 and below will no longer work.
- What if you don’t know which Android operating system you are on?
We totally understand. Please click on the link below from your different Android devices to determine the version. It is important to note that you should click on this link from all of your Android devices to make sure they all will work. whatismyandroidversion.com
- Windows Desktop Operating Systems
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 with Microsoft Internet Explorers versions 10 or below will no longer work.
- Other Impacted Systems
- Apple iOS mobile devices using Safari versions 5 and below will no longer work.
- Windows Phone using Internet Explorer Mobile versions 10 and below will no longer work.
- Apple OS X desktop operating system using Safari Versions 8 or below will no longer work.
Will WESTconsin still let me use an impacted device?Unfortunately no. These older TLS systems are not at the level of security that we need to be in compliance. We cannot make an exception and would never want members to put their account information at risk. Impacted devices can be used until February 25, 2019. After that date members will not be able to access their account through those devices.
How to resolve this.
- Update the operating system, if available. Often, this is not an option, but it is good to check.
- Update the device to one that supports a TLS system that is not 1.0 or 1.1.
- Access your account with an alternative device that is not impacted by this change.
- Stop into one of our offices or call our Service Center for further assistance.