WESTconsin Credit Union Hosts Community Food Drive
Posted: June 3, 2019
WESTERN, WI—WESTconsin Credit Union offices are collecting non-perishable food items and monetary donations for those less fortunate from June 10-22. Donations can be made at any WESTconsin location including Altoona, Amery, Baldwin, Barron, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire, Ellsworth, Hudson, Menomonie (North, Downtown and East), New Richmond, Prescott, River Falls and Spring Valley. All proceeds will be delivered by the credit union to local food pantries for distribution.
Here is a list of our beneficiaries:
- Altoona Office | Altoona Compassion Coalition Food Pantry
- Amery Office | Amery Area Food Pantry
- Baldwin Office | Baldwin Community Food Pantry
- Barron Office | Barron Area Food Pantry
- Chippewa Falls Office | Agnes' Table
- Eau Claire Office | Feed My People Food Bank
- Ellsworth Office | Pierce County Food Pantry
- Hudson Office | Hudson Food Shelf
- Menomonie—Downtown Office | UW-Stout Helping Hands
- Menomonie—East Office | Stepping Stones of Dunn County
- Menomonie—North Office | Thursday Table
- New Richmond Office | Five Loaves Food Shelf
- Prescott Office | Prescott Area Food Pantry
- River Falls Office | River Falls Food Pantry
- Spring Valley Office | Spring Valley Area Food Pantry
Inventory supply needs for food pantries are especially high during summer months, largely due to students being out of school. Many area students receive reduced or free lunches while schools are in session and without the support of the food pantries, these children may not receive adequate nutrition over summer break. Monetary donations are especially valuable because for every $1 in cash, food pantries can purchase up to $10 worth of food. According to the 2010 Poverty and Population estimates from the US Census Bureau, 69,950 people in the 14 counties of west central Wisconsin live in poverty including more than one of every five children.
WESTconsin Credit Union has been serving members since 1939, and membership is open to anyone who lives or works in the Wisconsin counties of Barron, Buffalo, Burnett, Chippewa, Clark, Dunn, Eau Claire, Jackson, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Rusk, St. Croix, Sawyer, Taylor, Trempealeau, and Washburn, or the Minnesota counties of Anoka, Chisago, Dakota, Goodhue, Isanti, Ramsey, Wabasha, and Washington, with a $5 minimum deposit in a Membership Savings Account. Credit unions are financial institutions owned by their accountholders, and member funds are federally insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) up to at least $250,000.