Payment Protection FAQs
Is Payment Protection expensive?
The fee is specific to the amount and term of your loan and the protection package you select. Protection ends when the loan is repaid.
Why should I consider Payment Protection?
- Helps protect you and your family against financial hardship should the unexpected occur
- Helps protect your good credit rating and loan collateral
- Reduces the financial burden on your family should you die, become disabled, or lose your job
- Easy enrollment, simple eligibility requirements, and fees are included in monthly loan payment
- Immediate enrollment for eligible borrowers
- Can protect up to two borrowers per loan
Why would I need this protection on top of my employer’s disability benefits?
Employer disability benefits packages may cover only a portion of your salary or offer no protection at all. Could you meet all your obligations on your employer’s disability benefits if you were off work due to illness or injury for more than a month?
My spouse works. Why should I get Payment Protection?
Lifestyles and budgets become accustomed to two incomes when there are two breadwinners in the household. Are you willing, or financially able, to live without one of the incomes for three or more months? If one income is larger than the other, would the smaller income be enough to meet the basic living expenses of you or your family?
Do I have to go through any qualifying procedures?
No; Enrollment procedures and eligibility requirements are simple and part of the loan process. In most cases, there’s no medical screening.
Do you know the risk of disability?
According to the Council for Disability Awareness, Long-Term Disability Claims Review (2014):
- Less than 5% of disabling injuries and illnesses are work related
- 90% of disabilities are caused by illnesses (cancer & musculoskeletal disorders being the leading causes) rather than by accidents.
Could your family maintain its current standard of living if your income was eliminated or reduced? Could you make your loan payments?
- 56% workers don’t have a financial plan to handle the unexpected. Of those who do, 27% have less than $500 in savings for emergency expenses (2012 Aflac Work Forces Report, 2014)
- 30% of U.S. households have no life insurance at all; only 44% have individual life insurance (LIMRA Facts About Life 2013, 2013)
- Long-term unemployment (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) has accounted for more than one-third of the total unemployment since July of 2009 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Databases, Tables and Calculators by Subject, June 2013)
Is Life Insurance Enough?
According to LIMRA, “Facts About Life 2013” (2013), 50% of U.S. households (58 million) say they need more life insurance.
When eligible debt is protected with payment protection, other life insurance can pay for other important things. Payment Protection can help provide your family financial freedom when they need it most.
How do I file a claim?
Contact your local credit union office. We will assist you by initiating the claim with CUNA Mutual Group.
Your purchase of Payment Protection is optional and will not affect your application for credit or the terms of any credit agreement required to obtain a loan. Certain eligibility requirements, conditions, and exclusions may apply. Please contact your loan representative, or refer to the Member Agreement for a full explanation of the terms of Payment Protection. You may cancel the protection at any time. If you cancel protection within 30 days you will receive a full refund of any fee paid. DP-955560.1-0614-0716